Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business
Incubating Transnational Entrepreneurial Ventures in the ASEAN-X Group: A Quantitative Study
This study aims to contribute to the extensive literature on transnational entrepreneurship by investigating the relationship between seven categorical independent variables (IVs) and a dichotomous dependent variable within the ASEAN-X group. Specifically, a large dataset from the World Bank, OECD, InBIA, and Southeast Asia Ecosystem Report provided a sample of N = 967. A binary logistic regression model was used to analyze the study questions and hypotheses following the Transnational Entrepreneurship (TE) theory. The modelling results reported that the remittances measured by total transaction costs (WaldX2 = 22.49, df = 5, p < .001), entrepreneurs’ age (WaldX2 = 11.78, df = 4, p =.019), entrepreneurs’ education (WaldX2 = 48.33, df = 3, p < .001), and business incubators’ ownership or status (WaldX2 = 14.97, df = 2, p = .001) potentially gauged the success of startup businesses. Future studies should also emphasize the implications of phenomenon-based research in business and society to identify specific theories based on the lived experiences.
Transnational Entrepreneurship theory; remittances; business incubation; startups
Escobal-Luea, J. (2020). Incubating Transnational Entrepreneurial Ventures in the ASEAN-X Group: A Quantitative Study. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business, 8(2), 33-49. https://doi.org/10.17687/JEB.0802.04
- Ahmad, A.J., & Thornberry, C.J. (2018). On the structure of business incubators. De-coupling issues and the misalignment of managerial incentives. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 43(5), 1190-1212. https://doi:10.1007/s10961-016-9551-y
- Afandi, E., & Kermani, M. (2015). Bridging the gender gap in entrepreneurship: An empirical analysis. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 20(2), 1-23 https://doi.org/10.1142/S1084946715500089
- Albort-Morant, G., & Oghazi, P. (2016). How useful are incubators for new entrepreneurs? Journal of Business Research, 69, 2125-2129.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.12.019 0148-2963
- Al-Mubaraki, H.M. (2014). Incubator successes: Lessons learned from successful incubators towards the twenty-first century. World Journal of Science, Technology and Sustainable Development, 11(1), 44-52 .doi:10.1108/WJSSTD-08-2013-0030
- Alpenidze, O., Pauceanu, A. M., & Sanyal, S. (2019). Key success factors for business incubators in Europe: An empirical study. Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal, 25(1). ISSN: 1087-9595
- Autio, E. (2005). High-expectation entrepreneurship 2005 summary report, GEM Research Reports, 2-14. Retrieved from http://www.gemconsortium.org/ docs/download/268
- Ayala, C., & Manzano-Garcia, G. (2010). Established business owners’ success: Influencing factors. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 15(3), 263-286. Retrieved from http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/pdf/10.1142/ S 1084946710001555
- Azizi, S. (2018). The impacts of workers’ remittances on human capital and labor supply in Developing countries. Economic Modelling, 75, 377-396 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.20185.07.011
- Barba-Sanchez, V., & Atienza-Sahuquillo, C. (2018). Entrepreneurial intention among engineering students: The role of entrepreneurship education. European Research on Management and Business Economics 24: 53-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iedeen.2017.04.001
- Brown, M., Harrell, M.P., & Regner, W. (2000). Internet Incubators: How to invest in the new economy without becoming an investment company. The Business Lawyer, 56(1), 273-287. Retrieved from www.jstor.org/stable/40687977
- Brown, R., Mawson, S., Lee, N., & Peterson, L. (2019). Start-up factories, transnational entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial ecosystems: Unpacking the lure of start-up accelerator programmes. European Planning Studies, 27(5), 885-904. https://doi.org/10.1080/09654313.2019.1588858
- Brzozowski, J., Cucculelli, M., & Surdej, S. (2017). The determinants of transnational entrepreneurship and transnational ties: Dynamics among immigrant entrepreneurs in ict sector in Italy. International Migration 55(3), 105-125. http://doi.org/10.1111/imig.12335.
- Buckley, P. J., Doh, J. P. & Benischke, M. H. (2017). Towards a renaissance in international business research? Big questions, grand challenges, and the future of IB scholarship. Journal of International Business Studies, 48(9), 1045-1064. ISSN 0047-2506 https://doi.org/10.1057/s41267-017-0102-z
- Chin, C. (2017). What are the opportunities for ASEAN? Yale Insights. Retrieved from https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/what-are-the-opportunities-for-asean.
- Cozby, P. C. & Bates, S. C. (2015). Methods in behavioral research (12th ed). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill Higher Education.
- de Jorge Moreno, J., Laborda Castillo, L., & de Zuani Masere, E. (2010). Firm size and entrepreneurial characteristics: Evidence from the SME sector in argentina. Journal of Business Economics and Management, 11(2), 259-282. http://doi.org/l0.3846/ibem.2010.13
- Drori, I., Honig, B., & Wright, M. (2009). Transnational entrepreneurship: An emergent field of study. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, 1001-1022. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00332.x
- Dunning, J.H. (2005). Making globalization good. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Eggo, J., Bangake, C., & Semedo, G. (2019). Do remittances spur economic growth? Evidence from developing countries. The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, 28(4), 391-418.https://doi.org./10.1080/09638199.2019.1568522
- Elo, M. & Freiling, J. (2015). Transnational entrepreneurship: An introduction to the volume. American Journal of Entrepreneurship, 8(2), 1-8. Retrieved from https://www.ceeol.com/search/article-detail?id=306592
- Fernandez-Perez, V., Alonso-Garcia, P.E., Fuentes-Fuentes, M.M., & Ariza, L.R. (2013). Business social networks and academics’ entrepreneurial intentions. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 114(2), 82-93. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-02-2013-0076
- Field, A. (2013. Discovering statistics using ibm spss statistics. Sage Publications Ltd.
- Frid, C. J., Wyman, D. M., & Coffey, B. (2016). Effects of wealth inequality on entrepreneurship. Small Business Economics, 47(4), 895-920 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-016-9742-9
- Gelaidan, H., & Abdullateef, A. (2017). Entrepreneurial intentions of business students in Malaysia The role of self-confidence, educational and relation support. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 24(1), 54-67 .https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-06-2016-0078
- Giardino, C., Unterkalmsteiner, M., Paternoster, N., Gorschek, T., & Abrahamsson, P. (2014). What do we know about software development in startups? IEEE Software, 31(5), 28-32. https://doi.org/10.1109/MS.2014.129
- Henley, A., Contreras, F., Espinosa, J. C., & Barbosa, D. (2017). Entrepreneurial intentions of Colombian business students: Planned behaviour, leadership skills and social capital. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 23(6), 1017- 1032. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-01-2017-0031
- Kakhkharov, J., & Rohde, N. (2019). Remittances and financial development in transition economies. Empirical Economics, 1-33 https://doi-org/10.1007/s00181-019-01642-3
- Karadeniz, E., & Ozcam, A. (2010). The determinants of growth expectations of the early-stage entrepreneurs (TEA) using the ordinal logistic model (OLM): The case of Turkey. Economic and Business Review, 72(1), 61-84. Retrieved from http://www.ebrjoumal.net/ojs/index.php/ebr/article/viewFile/41122
- Kim, P.H., & Li, M. (2014.) Injecting demand through spillovers. Foreign direct investment, domestic socio-political conditions, and host-country entrepreneurial activity. Journal of Business Venturing, 29(2), 210-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2012.10.004
- Klingbeil, C., & Semrau, T. (2017). For whom size matters – the interplay between incubator size, tenant characteristics and tenant growth. Industry and Innovation, 24(7), 735-752, https://doi.org/10.1080/13662716.2017.1319802
- Lamine, W., Mian, S., Fayolle, A., Wright, M., Klofsten, M., & Etzkowitz, H. (2018). Technology business incubation mechanisms and sustainable regional development. Journal of Technology Transfer, 43(5), 1121-1141. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-016-9537-9
- Lamotte, O., & Colovic, A. (2013). Do demographics influence aggregate entrepreneurship? Applied Economics Letters, 20, 1206-1210. http://dx .doi.org/10.1080/13504851.2013.799747
- Lévesque, M., & Minniti, M. (2006). The effect of aging on entrepreneurial behavior. Journal of Business Venturing, 21, 177-194. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2005.04.003
- Lin, X., & Yang, X. (2017). From human capital externality to entrepreneurial aspiration: Revisiting the migration-trade linkage. Journal of World Business, 52(3), 360-371 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2016.11.001
- Maier, E. (2016). Supply and demand on crowdlending platforms: Connecting small and medium-sized enterprise borrowers and consumer investors. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 33, 143-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2016.08.004
- Mas-Verdú, F., Ribeiro-Soriano, D., & Roig-Tierno, N. (2015). Firm survival: The role of incubators and business characteristics. Journal of Business Research, 68(4), 793-796 doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2014.11.030
- McGowan, E. (2018). Series a, b, c, d and e funding: How it works. Retrieved from https://www.startups.com/library/expert-advice/series-funding-a-b-c-d-e
- Menard, S. (2002). Applied logistic regression analysis. Quantitative applications in the social sciences. SAGE Publications.
- Nalintippayawong, S., Waiyawatpattarakul, N., & Chotipant, S. (2018). Examining the critical success factors of startup in thailand using structural equation model. 2018 10th International Conference on Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ICITEE), 388-393. doi.org/10.1109/ICITEED.2018.8534854
- Ratha, D. (2020). Covid-19 through a migration lens: Policy responses should be inclusive of migrants. Retrieved from https://blogs.worldbank.org/peoplemove/covid-19
- Riddle, L., Hrivnak, G., & Nielsen, T. (2010). Transnational diaspora entrepreneurship in emerging markets: Bridging institutional divides. Journal of International Management,16, 398-411 doi:10.10.1016/j.intman.2010.09.009
- Slimane, F. B., & Rousseau, A. (2020). Crowdlending campaigns for renewable energy: Success factors. Journal of Cleaner Production, 249, 1-13 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.119330
- Tech Collective. (2018). Top startup accelerators in Southeast Asia. Retrieved from https://techcollectivesea.com/2018/08/20/top-startup-accelerators-in-southeast-asia/
- Terjesen, S., & Szerb, L. (2008). Dice thrown from the beginning. An empirical investigation of the determinants of firm level growth expectations. Estudios De Economia, 35(2), 153-178. http://doi.org/10.4067/SQ718- 52862008000200003
- United Nations International migration report. (2017). New York: United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, 2017
- Vaaler, P. (2011). Immigrant remittances and the venture investment environment of developing countries. Journal of International Business Studies, 42(9), 1121-1149 https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2011.36
- White, J. L. (2005). Steps in Interpretation of Logistic Regression. Copyright © 2005
- World Bank (2017). Migration and Development Brief 27. Washington D.C: World Bank
- Yang, T., & Aldrich, H. E. (2017). The liability of newness revisited: Theoretical restatement and empirical testing in emergent organizations. Social Science Research, 63, 36-53 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2016.09.006