Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business
Effects of Consumer Innovativeness, Fashion Innovativeness, and Fashion Involvement on Online Purchase Intention
Mas Azira Mohamed , Yu Ghee Wee
Online shopping is becoming increasingly important in the current era, rendering comprehension of consumer online shopping habits crucial. This notion rings true in the context of users and companies alike, thereby emerging as a big concern for e-commerce managers and researchers. One may assume that only by understanding the factors influencing consumer buying intentions for fashion items online will companies be better-positioned for meeting consumer needs. In this analysis, the relationship between customer online purchasing intentions and selected factors was investigated, specifically consumer innovativeness, fashion innovativeness, and fashion involvement. Quantitative research was implemented in the process, involving fashion online shoppers in Malaysia as the respondents after being selected via quota sampling from the ten most popular fashion shopping websites in Malaysia. The statistical method of Partial Least Square – Structural Equation Modelling (PLS-SEM) was then employed for the proposed model testing. The findings subsequently revealed the positive effects of consumer innovativeness, and fashion involvement on online purchase intention, whereas any significant relationship between the variable with fashion innovativeness was absent. However, this analysis was conducted in Malaysia; therefore, the results could be different if tested in other countries. Hence, similar studies related to fashion online purchase intention should be replicated in other Asian countries in the future.
Consumers; Fashion; Innovativeness; Online shopping; Online purchase intention
Mohamed, M. A., & Wee, Y. G. (2020). Effects of Consumer Innovativeness, Fashion Innovativeness, and Fashion Involvement on Online Purchase Intention. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business, 8(2), 50-71. https://doi.org/10.17687/JEB.0802.05
- Afonso Vieira, V. (2009). An extended theoretical model of fashion clothing involvement. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 13(2), 179–200. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020910957707
- Ajzen, I. (1991), “The theory of planned behavior”, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 50 No. 2, pp. 179-179.
- Ajzen, I. and Fishbein, M. (1980), Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behaviour, Pearson, New Jersey, NJ.
- Aldás-Manzano, J., Lassala-Navarré, C., Ruiz-Mafé, C., & Sanz-Blas, S. (2009). The role of consumer innovativeness and perceived risk in online banking usage. International Journal of Bank Marketing, 27(1), 53–75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02652320910928245
- Anderson, R. E., & Srinivasan, S. S. (2003). E-Satisfaction and E-Loyalty: A Contingency Framework. Psychology and Marketing, 20(2), 123–138. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.10063
- Belton, K., & Clinton, B. (2007). How society influences young consumers’ perceptions of fur and leather goods. Undergraduate Research Journal for the Human Sciences, 6.
- Bilgihan, A., & Bujisic, M. (2015). The effect of website features in online relationship marketing: A case of online hotel booking. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 14(4), 222–232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2014.09.001
- Blackwell, R. D., Miniard, P. W. and Engel, J. F. 2001. Behavior, , 9th, Orlando, FL: Harcourt.
- Cardoso, C. R., Costa, H. S., & Novais, L. A. (2010). Fashion consumer profiles in the Portuguese market: involvement, innovativeness, self-expression and impulsiveness as segmentation. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 34, 638–647
- Chen, M. Y., & Teng, C. I. (2013). A comprehensive model of the effects of online store image on purchase intention in an e-commerce environment. Electronic Commerce Research, 13(1), 1–23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-013-9104-5
- Cho, S., & Workman, J. E. (2014). Relationships among Gender, Fashion Leadership, Need for Affect, and Consumers’ Apparel Shopping Preference. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 42(4), 369–385. https://doi.org/10.1111/fcsr.12070
- Christia, J. (2014). The Effect of Alliance Image on the Relationship between Consumer Innovativeness and New Product Adoption. Int. J. Technology Marketing, 4(4), 765-778
- Citrin, A. V., Sprott, D. E., Silverman, S. N., & Stem, D. E. (2000). Adoption of internet shopping: the role of consumer innovativeness. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 100(7), 294- 300. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02635570010304806
- Dodds, R. (2010). Destination market ing organization and climate change – The need for leadership and education. Sustainability, 2, 3449-3464. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su2113449
- El-Ansary, Osama and Samir, Ahmed, (2013), Factors Affecting Egyptian Consumers' Intentions for Accepting Online Shopping, The Journal of American Academy of Business. pp. 191- 201.
- Escobar-Rodriiguez, T., & Bonson-Fernandez, R. (2016). Analysing online purchase intention in Spain : https://doi.org/10.1007/s10257-016-0319-6
- Floh, A., Madlberger, M., 2013. The role of atmospheric cues in online impulse- buying behavior. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications 126, 425– 439.
- Flynn, L. R., & Goldsmith, R. E. (1993). A validation of the Goldsmith and Hofacker innovativeness scale. Educatiom Psychology Measure, 53, 1105-1116. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0013164493053004023
- Foxall, G. R. (1995). Cognitive styles of consumer initiator. Technovation, 15(5), 269-288. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(95)96600-X
- Foxall, G. R., & Goldsmith, R. E. (2003). The Measurment of innovativeness. In L. V. Shavinina (Ed.), The International Handbook on Innovation (pp. 321-328). Cambridge, UK: Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Franceschinis, C. and Thiene, M. and Scarpa, R. and Rose, J. and Moretto, M. and Cavalli, R. (2017) 'Adoption of renewable heating systems : an empirical test of the diffusion of innovation theory.', Energy., 125 . pp. 313-326
- Garcia, R. and Calantone, R. (2002). A critical look at technological innovation typology and innovativeness terminology: a literature review. Journal of Product Innovation Management. 19(2):110-132
- Gitimu, P. N., Workman, J., & Robinson, J. R. (2013). Garment quality evaluation: Influence of fashion leadership, fashion involvement, and gender. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 6(3),173–180. https://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2013.815809
- Goldsmith, R.E. (2000), “Characteristics of the heavy user of fashionable clothing”, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol. 8 No. 4, pp. 21-28.
- Goldsmith, R. E., Ann, M., Pierre, M., Goldsmith, R. E., & Beaudoin, P. (2006). Fashion innovativeness and self- concept : a replication.
- Goldsmith, R., & Stith, M. T. (2011). The social Values of fashion innovators. Journal of Applied Business Research, 9(1), 10–16
- Goldsmith, R.E., Hofacker, C.F., 1991. Measuring consumer innovative- ness. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 19 (3), 209–221.
- Hartley, S (2018, June). Know your customers. Inside Retail. Retrieved from http://www.insideretail.com
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C.M. and Sinkovics, R.R. (2009), “The use of partial least squares path modeling in international marketing”, in Sinkovics, R.R. and Ghauri, P.N. (Eds), Advances in International Marketing, Emerald JAI Press, Bingley, Vol. 20, pp. 277-319.
- Hira Cho, Yun Wang. 2010. Cultural comparison for the acceptance of online apparel customization. Journal of Consumer Marketing 27:6, 550-557
- Hoffmann, S., & Soyez, k. (2010). A cognitive model to predict domain-specific consumer innovativeness. Journal of Business Research, 63, 778-785. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.06.007
- Hong, I. B., & Cho, H. (2011). The impact of consumer trust on attitudinal loyalty and purchase
- intentions in B2C e-marketplaces: Intermediary trust vs. seller trust. International Journal of Information Management, 31(5), 469–479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2011.02.001
- Hofstede, G. (1980), “Culture and organizations”, International Studies of Management & Organization, Vol. 10 No. 4, pp. 15-41.
- Hynes, S., Hanley, N., and Scarpa, R. (2008). Effects on welfare measures of alternative means of accounting for preference heterogeneity in recreational demand models. American Journal of Agricoltural Economics, 90(4):1011-1027.
- Ho, C. H., and T. Y. Wu. 2012. “Factors Affecting Intent to Purchase Virtual Goods in Online Games.” International Journal of Electronic Business Management 10 (3): 204–212
- Im, S., Bayus, B. L., & Mason, C. H. (2003). An empirical study of innate consumer innovativeness, personal characteristics and new-product adoption behavior. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 31(1), 61−73.
- Im, H. and Ha, Y. (2011), "The effect of perceptual fluency and enduring involvement on situational involvement in an online apparel shopping context", Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, Vol. 15 No. 3, pp. 345-362. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612021111151932
- Jianlin, W., & Qi, D. (2010). Moderating effect of personal innovativeness in the model for e-store loyalty. Proceedings of the International Conference on E-Business and E-Government, ICEE 2010, 2065–2068. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEE.2010.522
- Jin, B., & Gu Suh, Y. (2005). Integrating effect of consumer perception factors in predicting private brand purchase in a Korean discount store context. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 22(2), 62–71. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760510589226
- Jiradilok, T., Malisuwan, S., Madan, N., & Sivaraks, J. (2014). The Impact of Customer Satisfaction on Online Purchasing: A Case Study Analysis in Thailand. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, 2(1), 5-11.
- Jung Lee & Jae-Nam Lee (2015) How purchase intention consummates purchase behaviour: the stochastic nature of product valuation in electronic commerce, Behaviour & Information Technology, 34:1, 57-68, 10.1080/0144929x.2013.853837
- Jordaan, Y., & Simpson, M. (2010). Consumer innovativeness among females in specific fashion stores in the Menlyn shopping centre. Journal of Family Ecology and Consumer Sciences/Tydskrif Vir Gesinsekologie En Verbruikerswetenskappe, 34, 32–40. https://doi.org/10.4314/jfecs.v34i1.52887
- Jos Bartels, Machiel J. Reinders. 2011. Consumer innovativeness and its correlates: A propositional inventory for future research. Journal of Business Research 64, 601-609.
- Joseph, B., & Vyas, S. J. (1984). Concurrent validity of a measure of innovative cognitive style. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 12(2), 159−175
- Kapferer , J .- N . and Laurent , G . ( 1985/1986 ). Consumer involvement profiles: A new practical approach to consumer involvement. Journal of Advertising Research 25 (6) : 48 – 56
- Kim, J., Jin, B., & Swinney, J. L. (2009). The role of etail quality, e-satisfaction and e-trust in online loyalty development process. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 16(4), 239–247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2008.11.019
- Kang, J., & Park, P. H. (2010). Hedonic and utilitarian shopping motivations of fashion leadership. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 14(2), 312–328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/13612021011046138
- Kotler, P. and Keller, K.L. (2012), Marketing Management, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, NJ.
- Kock, N. (2014b). One-tailed or two-tailed P values in PLS-SEM? Laredo, TX: ScriptWarp Systems.
- Kock, N., & Lynn, G.S. (2012). Lateral collinearity and misleading results in variance-based SEM: An illustration and recommendations. Journal ofthe Association for Information Systems,13(7), 546–580.
- Kumar, V., & Krishnan, T. V. (2002). Multinational diffusion models: an alternative framework. Marketing Science, 21(3), 318-331. http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mksc.21.3.318.139
- Lee, K., & Mano, H. (2014). Beyond Simple Innovativeness: A Hierarchical Continuum and Thinking and Feeling Processing Modes. Social Behavior and Personality, 42(4), 597-614. http://dx.doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2014.42.4.597
- Lim, H., & Park, J. S. (2013). The effects of national culture and cosmopolitanism on consumer's adoption of innovation: A cross-cultural comparison. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 25(1), 16-28. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08961530.2013.751793
- Lertwannawit, A., & Mandhachitara, R. (2012). Interpersonal effects on fashion consciousness and status consumption moderated by materialism in metropolitan men. Journal of Business Research, 65(10), 1408–1416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.10.006
- Ling, K.W., Chai, L.T., Piew T.H. (2010), The Effects of Shopping Orientations, Online Trust and Prior Online Purchase Experience toward Customers’ Online Purchase Intention. International Business Research, Vol. 3, No. 3. https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v3n3p63
- Malaysians shopping online more than ever: iPay88 (2017, April), The Sun Daily. Retrieved from http://www.thesundaily.my
- Midgley, D. F., & Dowling, G. R. (1978). Innovativeness — Concept and its measurement. Journal ofConsumer Research, 4(4), 229−242
- Mowen, J. C., Christia, J., & Spears, N. (1998). Consumer innovativeness: A general consumer trait or a product category specific trait. In R. C. Goodstein & S. B. Mackenzie (Eds.), AMA Educators’ Proceedings: Enhancing Knowledge Development in Marketing (p. 144). Chicago, IL: American Marketing Association.
- Newman, A. J., & Patel, D. (2004). The marketing direction of two fashion retailers. European Journal of Marketing, 28(7), 770–789. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090560410539249
- O’Cass, A. (2004). Fashion clothing consumption: antecedents and consequences of fashion clothing involvement. European Journal of Marketing, 38(7), 869–882. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560410539294
- Pappu, R., & Quester, P. G. (2016). How does brand innovativeness affect brand loyalty? European Journal of Marketing, 50(1–2), 2–28. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-01-2014-0020
- Park, H., Davis Burns, L. and Rabolt, N. (2007), "Fashion innovativeness, materialism, and attitude toward purchasing foreign fashion goods online across national borders: The moderating effect of internet innovativeness", Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, Vol. 11 No. 2, pp. 201-214. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020710751383
- Park, M. (2016). Imagery Fluency and Fashion Involvement in Online Apparel Shopping, 9–11. Park, J. E., Yu, J., & Zhou, J. X. (2010). Consumer innovativeness and shopping styles. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 27(5), 437-446. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/07363761011063330
- Phau, Ian, Lo, Chang-Chin (2004), Profiling fashion innovators: A study of self-concept, impulse buying and Internet purchase intent, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 8(4), pp. 399 – 411.
- Poyry E, Parvinen P, Malmivaara T (2013) Can we get from liking to buying? Behavioral differences in hedonic and utilitarian Facebook usage. Electron Commer Res Appl 12:224– 235
- Rahman, S. U., Saleem, S., Akhtar, S., Ali, T., & Khan, M. A. (2014). Consumers’ Adoption of Apparel Fashion: The Role of Innovativeness, Involvement, and Social Values. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 6(3), 49–64. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijms.v6n3p49
- Ramayah, T., Lee, J. W. C., & In, J. B. C. (2011). Network collaboration and performance in the tourism sector. Service Business, 5(4), 411–428. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11628-011-0120-z
- Ringle, C.M., Wende, S. and Will, A. (2005), “Smartpls 2.0”, available at: www.smartpls.de Roehrich, G. (2004). Consumer innovativeness: concepts and measurements. Journal of Business Research, 52, 621–677.
- Rogers, E. M., & Shoemaker, F. F. (1971). Communications of innovations. New York: The Free Press.
- Rogers, E.M. (1962). Diffusion of Innovations (1st ed.). New York: Free Press.
- Sekaran, U. (2003). Research methods for busi- ness: A skill-building approach (4th ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- See-Pui N (2013) Intention to purchase on social commerce websites across cultures: a cross- regional study. Inf Manag 50(8):609–620
- Siwon Cho, Jane E. Workman. 2015. College students’ frequency of use of information sources by fashion leadership and style of information processing. Fashion and Textiles.
- Sullivan, G. M., & Feinn, R. (2012). Using Effect Size - or why the p Value is not Enough. Journal ofGraduate Medical Education, 4(3), 279–282.
- Steenkamp, J. B. E. M., & Gielens, K. (2003). Consumer and market drivers of the trial probability of new consumer packaged goods. J Consum Res, 30, 368-384. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/378615
- Tang L (2014) The application of social psychology theories and concepts in hospitality and tourism studies: a review and research agenda. Int J Hosp Manag 36:188–196
- Thamizhvanan, A. and Xavier, M. (2013), "Determinants of customers' online purchase intention: an empirical study in India", Journal of Indian Business Research, Vol. 5 No. 1, pp. 17- 32. https://doi.org/10.1108/17554191311303367
- Toufaily, E., Ricard, L., & Perrien, J. (2013). Customer loyalty to a commercial website : Descriptive meta-analysis of the empirical literature and proposal of an integrative model. Journal of Business Research, 66(9),1436–1447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.05.011
- Vandecasteele, B., & Geuens, M. (2010). Motivated consumer innovativeness: Concept, measurement, and validation. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 27(4), 308– 318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2010.08.004
- Venkatesh V, Morris MG, Davis GB, Davis FD (2003) User acceptance of information technology: toward a unified view. MIS Q 27(3):425–478
- Venkatesh V, Thong JY, Xu X (2012) Consumer acceptance and use of information technology: extending the unified theory of acceptance and use of technology. MIS Q 36(1):157–178
- Wang, T., & Shih, E. (2015). The role of player innovativeness in adopting new online games: bidimensional and hierarchical perspectives. International Journal of Technology Marketing, 10(3), 236-247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJTMKT.2015.070654
- Wolny, J. (2015). Behavior delivered by ingenta to : Guest User, 14(2), 83–85.
- Yun Wang, Hira Cho, C.-Y. J. L. (2010). The moderating roles of fashion innovativeness and involvement in the attitude toward online customization in Taiwan apparel market The moderating roles of fashion innovativeness and involvement in the attitude toward online customization in Taiwan appare, 0–18.
- Wilkie, W. L. (1990). Consumer behavior (2nd ed.). New York: John Wiley.
- Workman, J. E., & Lee, S. H. (2011). Materialism, fashion consumers and gender: a cross-cultural study. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 35(1), 50–57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2010.00935
- Zeithaml, Valarie A., Leonard L. Berry, and A. Parasuraman (1996). The behavioral consequences of service quality, Journal of Marketing, 60 (April), 31–46.
- Zhang, R., Li, G., & Sun, Z. (2014). Relationship between Consumer Innovativeness and Internet Banking Acceptance. International Conference on Management Science & Engineering (21th). http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICMSE.2014.6930245
- Zhang, B., & Kim, J. H. (2013). Luxury fashion consumption in China: Factors affecting attitude and purchase intent. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 20(1), 68–79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2012.10.007