Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business
The Mediating Role of Commitment in The Relationship Between Mobile Service Quality and Mobile Shopping Customer Loyalty in Malaysia
Komatan Dharaman , Razli Che Razak
Online shopping is becoming increasingly important in the current era, rendering comprehension of consumer online shopping habits crucial. This notion rings true in the context of users and companies alike, thereby emerging as a big concern for e-commerce managers and researchers. One may assume that only by understanding the factors influencing consumer buying intentions for fashion items online will companies be better-positioned for meeting consumer needs. In this analysis, the relationship between customer online purchasing intentions and selected factors was investigated, specifically consumer innovativeness, fashion innovativeness, and fashion involvement. Quantitative research was implemented in the process, involving fashion online shoppers in Malaysia as the respondents after being selected via quota sampling from the ten most popular fashion shopping websites in Malaysia. The statistical method of Partial Least Square – Structural Equation Modelling (PLS-SEM) was then employed for the proposed model testing. The findings subsequently revealed the positive effects of consumer innovativeness, and fashion involvement on online purchase intention, whereas any significant relationship between the variable with fashion innovativeness was absent. However, this analysis was conducted in Malaysia; therefore, the results could be different if tested in other countries. Hence, similar studies related to fashion online purchase intention should be replicated in other Asian countries in the future.
Consumers; Fashion; innovativeness; Online shopping; Online purchase intention
Dharaman, K., & Che Razak, R. (2020). The Mediating Role of Commitment in The Relationship Between Mobile Service Quality and Mobile Shopping Customer Loyalty in Malaysia. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business, 8(2), 82-94. https://doi.org/10.17687/JEB.0802.07
- Ab. Hamid, W. Sami, M. H. M. S. (2017). Discriminant Validity Assessment: Use of Fornell & Larcker criterion versus HTMT Criterion. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 890, 6.
- Al-Ghazali, B. M., Rasli, A. M., Yusoff, R. M., & Mutahar, A. Y. (2015). Antecedents of continuous usage intention of mobile banking services from the perspective of Delone and Mclean model of information system success. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 5, 13–21.
- Alipoor, V. (2016). The Effect of Service Quality of Mobile Banking Technology on Customer Brand Image. Int.J. of Comp. & Info. Tech., 4(1), 13–19.
- Bansod, A. V. (2011). ResearchOnline @ ND Impact of Relational Marketing of Laptops : High Tech Product Adoptions in a Retail Setting Impact of Relational Marketing of Laptops : High Tech Product Adoptions in a Retail Setting Anirudha Vasant Bansod The University of Notre Dame.
- Bobalca, C., Gatej, C., & Ciobanu, O. (2012). Developing a Scale to Measure Customer Loyalty. Procedia Economics and Finance, 3(12), 623–628. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2212-5671 (12)00205-5
- Bove, L. L., Pervan, S. J., Beatty, S. E., & Shiu, E. (2009). Service worker role in encouraging customer organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Business Research, 62(7), 698–705. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.07.003
- Bricci, L., Fragata, A., & Antunes, J. (2016). The Effects of Trust, Commitment and Satisfaction on Customer Loyalty in the Distribution Sector. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, 4(2), 173–177. https://doi.org/10.7763/joebm.2016.v4.386
- Chihombori, R. (2012). the Mediating Role of Mobile Technology in the Linkage Between Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty By Rumbidzai Anna Chihombori a Dissertation Submitted in Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Master of Commerce in the Faculty of Manag. (January).
- Chinomona, R., & Sandada, M. (2013). Predictors Of Customer Loyalty To Mobile Service Provider In South Africa. International Business & Economics Research Journal (IBER), 12(12), 1631. https://doi.org/10.19030/iber.v12i12.8257
- Clement, J. (2019). Mobile shopping app user acquisition rate worldwide from 2017 to 2019 (in U.S. dollars). Retrieved from Statista website: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1021307/global-mobile-shopping-app-user- acquisition-rate/
- Dagger, T. S., & O’Brien, T. K. (2010). Does experience matter?: Differences in relationship benefits, satisfaction, trust, commitment and loyalty for novice and experienced service users. European Journal of Marketing, 44(9), 1528–1552. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090561011062952
- Dlodlo, N. (2014). The relationships among service quality, Trust, User satisfaction and post-adoption intentions in M-payment services. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(23), 165–175. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n23p165
- Drohan, R. (2010). Exploring the nature of Effective Customer Relationship Management Capability in the Irish hotel sector. (June), 1–185.
- Filimonova, D. (2018). Malaysia As The Next Frontier Of E-Commerce Boom. Retrieved from https://blueninja.io/blog/e-commerce/e-commerce-digital- malaysia-2018/
- Goi, M. T., Kalidas, V., & Zeeshan, M. (2014). Comparison of Stimulus-Organism- Response Framework between International and Local Retailer. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 130, 461–468.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.04.054
- Hair, J.F., Hult, G.T., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2014). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modelling (PLS-SEM) (S. Publications, Ed.).
- Jayaraman, P. (2015). Malaysia ranks No 3 in mobile shopping in Asia Pacific. Malaysian Reserve, p.6. Retrieved from https://themalaysianreserve.com/2017/04/03/malaysia-ranks-no-3-in-mobile- shopping-in-asia-pacific/
- Jiang, Z., & Chan, J. (2009). Journal of the Association for Information Effects of Interactivity on Website Involvement and Purchase Intention * Effects of Interactivity on Website Involvement and Purchase Intention. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 11(1), 34–59. https://doi.org/Article
- Kawaf, F., & Tagg, S. (2012). Online shopping environments in fashion shopping: An S-O-R based review. In The Marketing Review (Vol. 12). https://doi.org/10.1362/146934712x13366562572476
- Keating, B. W., Alpert, F., Kriz, A., & Quanzi, A. (2011). Relationship Quality in Online Services. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 52(2), 34–41.
- Kim, J., & Lennon, S. J. (2013). Effects of reputation and website quality on online consumers’ emotion, perceived risk and purchase intention: Based on the stimulus- organism-response model. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 7(1), 33– 56. https://doi.org/10.1108/17505931311316734
- Kungumapriya, & Malarmathi. (2018). The Impact of Service Quality, Perceived Value, Customer Satisfaction in Calculative Commitment and Customer Loyalty Chain in Indian Mobile Telephone Sector. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 20(5), 77–82.
- Kuo, T., Tsai, G. Y., Lu, I.-Y., & Chang, J.-S. (2009). Relationships among Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty: A Case Study on Mobile Shopping APPs. Computers in Human Behavior, 25(4), 887–896. Retrieved from http://apiems2016.conf.tw/site/userdata/1087/papers/0186.pdf
- Lee, W. O., & Wong, L. S. (2016). Determinants of Mobile Commerce Customer Loyalty in Malaysia. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 224(August 2015), 60–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.05.400
- Liao, C. H., Yen, H. R., & Li, E. Y. (2011). The effect of channel quality inconsistency on the association between e-service quality and customer relationships. Internet Research, 21(4), 458–478. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662241111158326
- Lin, H. H., & Wang, Y. S. (2006). An examination of the determinants of customer loyalty in mobile commerce contexts. Information and Management, 43(3), 271– 282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2005.08.001
- Loesche, D. ; (2018). Mobile E-commerce is up and Poised for Further Growth. Retrieved from Statista website: https://www.statista.com/chart/13139/estimated- worldwide-mobile-e-commerce-sales/
- Lu, Y., Zhang, L., & Wang, B. (2009). A multidimensional and hierarchical model of mobile service quality. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 8(5), 228–240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2009.04.002
- Mohammadi, H., Kaviani, H., & abasian, M. (2015). Evaluating the Effect of Brand Equity on Consumer Satisfaction and Brand Loyalty in Large Retails of the Mazandaran Province (Case Study: Food Products Industry). European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences: Proceedings, 4(1(s)), 1–12.
- Naami, A. (2017). Determination of the Impact of Consumer Lifestyle based on VALS Approach Mental Attitude toward Decision on Purchase Intention Mobile Phones. 112–129.
- Nakhleh, H. M. A. (2012). the Relationship Between Customer Relationship Marketing Tactics, Relationship Quality and Customer’S Loyalty in Mobile Communication Industry. Academic Research International, 3(2), 538–547. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1266226469?accountid=46437
- Nashed, A. ; (2018). How to Transform your Customer into a Business Partner. Retrieved from http://cetworldseries.com/egypt/2018/07/18/how-to-transform- your-customer-into-a-business-partner/
- Nitzl, C., Roldan, J. L., & Cepeda, G. (2016). Mediation analysis in partial least squares path modeling: Helping researchers discuss more sophisticated models. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 113(8), 1008–1109. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570710734262
- Nurittamont, W. (2016). Understanding Service Quality and Service Loyalty : An Empirical Study Of Mobile Phone Network Service In The Central. 140–146.
- Parasuraman, A., Parasuraman, T., Zeithaml, V., Berry, L., Zeithmal, V., Parasurman, A., Bern, L. (1988). SERVQUAL. A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, (64(1)), 12.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Malhotra, A. (2005). E-S-QUAL a multiple-item scale for assessing electronic service quality. Journal of Service Research, 7(3), 213–233. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670504271156
- Patawayati, P. (2013). Patient Satisfaction, Trust and Commitment: Mediator of Service Quality and Its Impact on Loyalty (An Empirical Study in Southeast Sulawesi Public Hospitals). IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 7(6), 1–14. https://doi.org/10.9790/487x-0760114
- Rafiq M, Fulford H, L. X. (2013). Building customer loyalty in online retailing: The role of relationship quality. Journal of Marketing Management 2013, 29(3-4), 494-517. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/10.1080/0267257X.2012.737356
- Roostika, R. (2011). The Effect of Perceived Service Quality and Trust on Loyalty: Customer’s Perspectives on Mobile Internet Adoption. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 2(4), 286–290.
- Sekaran, U. & Bougie, R. (2013). Research Methods for Business: A Skill- Building Approach. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Stiakakis, E., & Georgiadis, C. K. (2011). A model to identify the dimensions of mobile service quality. Proceedings - 2011 10th International Conference on Mobile Business, ICMB 2011, 195–204. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICMB.2011.43
- Thaichon, P. (2014). Customer retention in the residential Internet services market : the case of Thailand Thesis submitted in fulfillment of the.
- Van Tonder, E. (2016). Trust and commitment as mediators of the relationship between quality advice and customer loyalty. Journal of Applied Business Research, 32(1), 289–302. https://doi.org/10.19030/jabr.v32i1.9538
- Vuuren, T. Van. (2012). Customer satisfaction, trust and commitment as predictors of customer loyalty within an optometric practice environment. Southern African Business Review, 16(3), 81–96.
- Wu, T. (2017). Study on Effect of Internal Interdepartmental Integration on Customer Loyalty : Using Service Innovation as an Mediator. 14(2000), 28–37.
- Zhang, K. Z. K., & Benyoucef, M. (2016). Consumer behavior in social commerce : A literature review. Decision Support Systems, 86, 95–108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2016.04.001