Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business
Perceived Government Support as an Antecedent of Attitude and Perceived Behavioural Control (PBC) Effect on Agricultural Entrepreneurship (Agropreneurship) Intention Among the Youth in Sabah
Mohd Nur Fikri Waktu Saptu, Sylvia Nabila Azwa Ambad, Viduriati Sumin
Agropreneurship refers to producing, processing, and selling various agricultural products. Essentially, the Sabah Agriculture Blueprint 2021-2030 aims to attract more public involvement, particularly among graduates in the agriculture and fisheries sector, while lessening such imported goods. The Sabahan youth could benefit from this blueprint. Despite this significance, youth participation in the agricultural industry remains low. Therefore, this study examined the effect of the perceived government support on the attitude towards agropreneurship and PBC. On top of that, this study investigated the effect of perceived government support, the attitude towards agropreneurship, PBC, and social norms (SN) on the agropreneurship intention of Sabahan youth. In this study, 353 Sabahan youth participated in the survey. The data were analysed using Partial Least Squares-Structural Equation Modelling (PLS-SEM) 3.2.9. The results revealed that all hypotheses were significant, except for social norms and agropreneurship intention. In sum, this study could contribute to formulating policies and relevant programmes, especially in increasing youth participation in agropreneurship.
Agropreneur; Agropreneurship intention; Agricultural entrepreneurship; Entrepreneurial intention; Government support; Theory of Planned Behaviour
Waktu Saptu, M. N. F., Ambad, S. N. A., & Sumin, V. (2020). Perceived Government Support as an Antecedent of Attitude and Perceived Behavioural Control (PBC) Effect on Agricultural Entrepreneurship (Agropreneurship) Intention Among the Youth in Sabah. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business, 8(2), 94-104. https://doi.org/10.17687/JEB.0802.08
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-t
- Aman, Z., Abdul Rahim, A. R., & Din, A. K. (2015). Generation Y perceptions of employment in the plantation sector. International Journal of Recent Advances in Organizational Behaviour and Decision Sciences, 1(4), 605-616.
- Ambad, S. N., & Damit, D. H. (2016). Determinants of entrepreneurial intention among undergraduate students in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance, 37, 108-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2212-5671(16)30100-9
- Autio, E., H. Keeley, R., Klofsten, M., G. C. Parker, G., & Hay, M. (2001). Entrepreneurial intent among students in Scandinavia and in the USA. Enterprise and Innovation Management Studies, 2(2), 145-160. https://doi.org/10.1080/14632440110094632
- Chin, W. W. (1998). The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling. In G. A.Marcoulides (Ed.), Modern methods for business research (pp. 295–358). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale: Erlbaum.
- FAO (2017). The Future of Food and Agriculture – Trends and Challenges. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Available online at: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i6583e.pdf
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(3), 382. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- Ham, M., Jeger, M., & Frajman Ivković, A. (2015). The role of subjective norms in forming the intention to purchase green food. Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja, 28(1), 738-748. https://doi.org/10.1080/1331677x.2015.1083875
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., and Sarstedt, M. (2015). A new criterion for assessing discriminant validity in variance-based structural equation modelling. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 43(1), 115–135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-014-0403-8
- Kahan, D. (2012). Entrepreneurship in farming. Rome, Italy: Food and Agricultural Organization of United Nations Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/uploads/media/5-EntrepreneurshipInternLores.pdf.
- Khoshmaram, M., Shiri, N., Shinnar, R. S., & Savari, M. (2020). Environmental support and entrepreneurial behavior among Iranian farmers: The mediating roles of social and human capital. Journal of Small Business Management, 1-25.
- Kolvereid, L. (1996). Prediction of employment status choice intentions. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 21(1), 47-56. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879602100104
- Liñán, F., and Chen, Y. W. (2009). Development and cross‐cultural application of a specific instrument to measure entrepreneurial intentions. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 33(3), 593-617. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00318.x
- Malebana, M. (2014). The effect of knowledge of entrepreneurial support on entrepreneurial intention. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(20), 1020-1028.
- Mohammad Nor, N. A. A., Nik Mohd Masdek, N. R., & Maidin, M. K. H. (2015). Youth inclination towards agricultural entrepreneurship. Economic and Technology Management Review, 10a, 47-55.
- Murugesan, R., & Jayavelu, R. (2015). Testing the impact of entrepreneurship education on business, engineering and arts and science students using the theory of planned behaviour: A comparative study. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies, 7(3), 256-275.
- Ndungu, J. W., & Anyieni, A. (2019). Attitude of the youth towards entrepreneurship: A case of Nakuru County. International Academic Journal of Innovation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship, 2(2), 211-226.
- Ng, K. S., Ahmad, A. R., & Ibrahim, N. N. (2016). Theory of planned behavior: undergraduates‘ entrepreneurial motivation and entrepreneurship career intention at a public university. Journal of Entrepreneurship: Research & Practice, 2016.
- Rudhumbu, N., Svotwa, D., Munyanyiwa, T., & Mutsau, M. (2016). Attitudes of students towards entrepreneurship education at two selected higher education institutions in Botswana: A critical analysis and reflection. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 5(2), 83-83.
- Saptu, M. N. F. W., Ambad, S. N. A., & Sumin, V. (2020). The Effect of Planned Behaviour Theory on Agropreneurship Intention: The Moderating Role of Gender. Social and Management Research Journal, 17(2), 213-240.
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. Research Methods for Business. (2016). A Skill Building Approach. UK: John Wiley and Sons.
- Shook, C. L., & Bratianu, C. (2010). Entrepreneurial intent in a transitional economy: an application of the theory of planned behavior to Romanian students. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 6(3), 231-247. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-008-0091-2
- SMECorp, (January 30, 2019). Government spent RM2.3 bil on women entrepreneurs in 2018. Retrieved on 29 January 2019, from https://www.smeinfo.com.my/my/berita-menu/item/371-government-spent-rm2-3-bln-on-women-entrepreneurs-in-2018.
- Swarts, M. B., & Aliber, M. (2013). The ‘youth and agriculture’ problem: Implications for rangeland development. African Journal of Range & Forage Science, 30(1-2), 23-27. https://doi.org/10.2989/10220119.2013.778902
- Tilman, D., Balzer, C., Hill, J., and Befort, B. L. (2011). Global food demand and the sustainable intensification of agriculture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 108:20260. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1116437108
- Nordin, K. A., (2018) ‘Agriculture: Addressing food security in Malaysia’. The Edge Malaysia. 14th October 2018. Available at https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/agriculture-addressing-food-security-malaysia.
- Thompson, E. R. (2009). Individual entrepreneurial intent: Construct clarification and development of an internationally reliable metric. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3), 669-694. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00321.x
- Yusoff, A., Ahmad, N. H., and Halim, H. A. (2017, April). A Longitudinal Study Measuring Agropreneurship Behaviours Using Entrepreneurial Ladder Concept. In 5th International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship ICIE 2017, 207.
- Yusoff, A., Ahmad, N. H., and Halim, H. A. (2019). Unravelling agropreneurship activities among Malaysian Gen Y. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research. 25(3), 457-479. https://doi.org/10.1108/ijebr-07-2017-0213