Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business
Using Digital Technologies by Human Resource Management During COVID-19: A Case Study of E-Office and E-Learning
Juliansyah Noor , Nurul Cahya Ari Rahutami, Yumhi
Digital Technologies (DTs) have been developed for employees of the Directorate General of Treasury (DGT) in Indonesia to help them access data and learn using e-office and e-learning. In Indonesia, the COVID-19 outbreaks have forced DGT employees to fully utilise DTs to work from home (WFH) during the government lockdown. This research employed a qualitative approach using a case study method. Moreover, five out of the fifty DGT employees in Banten Province were selected as informants via a purposive sampling method. Next, the five DGT employees shared their impressions in employing DTs during the COVID-19 outbreaks. In this study, the data analysis applied a semi-structured interview and organised a focus group discussion (FGD) with the informants. The findings showed that the e-office implementation plays a significant role in daily office activities and has become a means of WFH due to the COVID-19 outbreaks. This study is useful to support the implementation of e-office and e-learning. Furthermore, this study discovered that e-learning implementation had changed human resources management (HRM).
COVID-19 outbreaks; Digital Technologies; Human Resource Practices; E-Office; E-Learning; Indonesia
Noor, J., Ari Rahutami, N. C., & , Y. (2020). Using Digital Technologies by Human Resource Management During COVID-19: A Case Study of E-Office and E-Learning. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business, 8(2), 105-113. https://doi.org/10.17687/JEB.0802.09
- Betchoo, N. K. (2016). Digital transformation and its impact on human resource management: A case analysis of two unrelated businesses in the Mauritian public service. 2016 IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Innovative Business Practices for the Transformation of Societies, EmergiTech 2016, August 2016, 147–152. https://doi.org/10.1109/EmergiTech.2016.7737328
- Bondarouk, T., Harms, R., & Lepak, D. (2017). Does e-HRM lead to better HRM service? International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28(9), 1332–1362. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2015.1118139
- Chang, W. L., & Lee, C. Y. (2013). Trust as a learning facilitator that affects students’ learning performance in the Facebook community: An investigation in a business planning writing course. Computers and Education, 62,320–327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2012.11.007
- Chien, T. C. (2012). Computer self-efficacy and factors influencing e-learning effectiveness. European Journal of Training and Development, 36(7), 670–686. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090591211255539
- Creswell, J. W., & Poth, C. N. (2017). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design Choosing Among Five Approaches (4th ed.).
- Darwish, H., Saki, N., Sahraei, M., Zakrifar, F., Talebi, S. M., & Branch, C. T. (2014). Effects of Automated Office Systems (Automation) on Improve DecisionMaking of Staff Managers (At the Airports Company of Country). 4(3), 554–564.
- De Meo, P., Messina, F., Rosaci, D., & Sarné, G. M. L. (2017). Combining trust and skills evaluation to form e-Learning classes in online social networks. Information Sciences, 405, 107–122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2017.04.002
- Dewandaru, D. S. (2013). Pemanfaatan Aplikasi E-Office Untuk Mendukung Penerapan E- Government Dalam Kegiatan Perkantoran Studi Kasus: Puslitbang Jalan Dan Jembatan. Seminar Nasional Teknologi Informasi Dan Komunikasi 2013 (SENTIKA 2013), 2013(Sentika), 232–239. https://fti.uajy.ac.id/sentika/publikasi/makalah/2013/2013_35.pdf
- Fagan, M. H. (2014). Exploring a Sociomaterial Perspective on Technology in Virtual Human Resource Development. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 16(3), 320–334. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422314532094
- Hidayanto, A. N., Karnida, Y. Y., & Moerita, G. (2012). Analysis of software as a service (SaaS) for software service provision alternative: A case study of e-office on demand service of PT. Telkom Indonesia. International Journal of Innovation and Learning, 12(3), 294–318. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJIL.2012.048811
- Hodgetts, D. J., & Stolte, O. E. E. (2012). Case-based Research in Community and Social Psychology: Introduction to the Special Issue. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 22(5), 379–389. https://doi.org/10.1002/casp.2124
- Kazmi, S. N. A. (2010). Factors influencing e-Governance implementation: Issues and challenges in Pakistan. 2010 5th International Conference on Digital Information Management, ICDIM 2010, 326–331. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDIM.2010.5664643
- Kuutti, K. (1996). Activity theory as a potential framework for human-computer interaction research. 9–22.
- Mason, J., & Lefrere, P. (2003). Trust, collaboration, e-learning and organisational transformation. International Journal of Training and Development, 7(4), 259–270. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-3736.2003.00185.x
- Mochtar, A. R. (2019). Menuju Transformasi Digital Kemenkeu. Buletin Kinerja: Mengawal Perubahan, XXXIX(Semester I 2019).
- Moore, J. L., Dickson-Deane, C., & Galyen, K. (2011). E-Learning, online learning, and distance learning environments: Are they the same? Internet and Higher Education, 14(2), 129–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2010.10.001
- O.Nyumba, T., Wilson, K., Derrick, C. J., & Mukherjee, N. (2018). The use of focus group discussion methodology: Insights from two decades of application in conservation. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 9(1), 20–32. https://doi.org/10.1111/2041- 210X.12860
- OECD. (2020). The global outlook is highly uncertain. http://www.oecd.org/economic- outlook/june-2020
- Pineda-Herrero, P., Quesada, C., & Stoian, A. (2011). Evaluating the efficacy of e-learning in Spain: A diagnosis of learning transfer factors affecting e-learning. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 30, 2199–2203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.10.428
- Schwab, K. (2016). The Fourth Industrial Revolution. World Economic Forum.
- Sher, A. (2009). Assessing the relationship of student-instructor and student-student interaction to student learning and satisfaction in Web-based Online Learning Environment. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 8(2), 102–120.
- Wan-yunTina Cheng, & Chen, C. (2015). The Impact of e-Learning on Workplace On-the-job Training. International Journal of E-Education, e-Business, e-Management and e- Learning, 5(4), 212–228. https://doi.org/10.17706/ijeeee.2015.5.4.212-228
- Werner, J. M., & Desimor, R. L. (2012). Human Resource Development, 6th - Jon M. Werner. Cengage Learning.
- Yin, R. K. (2018). Case study research and applications : design and methods (6e ed.). In Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling (Vol. 53, Issue 9). Sage Publication.